Not a lot of people know that! Facts about Rutland…
Here are a few little known facts about our little county of Rutland:
- Rutland Water is Europe’s largest man made lake. It was built in 1977.
- Rutland is the smallest country in the United Kingdom.
- Rutland was originally part of Leicestershire but was reinstated as an independent county in 1997.
- Rutland is the only county not to have a Mc Donalds.
- Rutland only has 2 towns – the market towns of Oakham and Uppingham.
- In Rutland, all horsehoes are hung ‘upside’ down.
- The motto for Rutland is ‘Multum in Parvo’.
- Rutland is the home to Uppingham School which have the greatest area of playing fields anywhere in the country.
- Famous Uppingham School alumni include Rick Stein, Johnny Vaughan and Stephen Fry.
- Oakham School is also in Rutland, of which Stuart Broad, Lewis Moody and Tom Croft are famous alumni.
If you are visiting the Rutland and are looking for self catering accommodation then please see our website www.puddle-cottage.co.uk for more details. Puddle Cottage is in Edith Weston which is within 8 miles from Oakham, Uppingham and Stamford making it the perfect base to discover all that Rutland has to offer. If you are visiting the famous boarding schools of either Uppingham School or Oakham School, then Puddle Cottage is nearby.
The cottage itself is walking distance to both Rutland Sailing Club and Rutland Water Fishing Lodge and the South shore of Rutland Water. The one bedroom character cottage can either be presented as having one super king sized bed or two full size single beds. The cottage has recently been renovated and has just been awarded its 4 star status from the Quality in Tourism Board. If you are looking for self catering accommodation in Rutland, then please contact Anna on 07734175291 or e/mail email@example.com.